A child who loses a parent to incarceration experiences severe disruption in their emotional health and well-being. Our trauma-focused therapeutic interventions play a key role in supporting our client’s success in school, ability to get along with others, and opportunities to cope with their unique challenges of disenfranchised grief. The Children of Promise, NYC Wellness Center offers children and families help in managing their emotional well-being and assistance in resolving their social, behavioral, and environmental issues that may cause impaired daily functioning and psychiatric difficulties.
The Children of Promise, NYC Wellness Center is a New York State Office of Mental Health licensed Outpatient Treatment Program. The Wellness Center strives to ensure that quality therapeutic services are readily available to all children and families identified as needing care and treatment.
- Emotional well-being screenings and assessment
- Comprehensive mental health treatment services aimed at addressing difficulties including:
- Anxiety disorders
- Mood and Adjustment Disorders
- Conduct and Oppositional Defiant Disorders
- Individual therapy
- Family therapy
- Group Therapy
- Art and Music Therapy
- Socialization Group Therapy
- Psychiatric evaluation
- Medication review and management
- Psychological assessment referrals
- Psycho-educational groups for parents
- Coordination with other service providers, schools, and primary care physicians
The Wellness Center is a fee-for-service program. We accept a variety of payment methods, including Medicaid and some third party insurance.
- Trauma-Focused interventions specializing in parental incarceration and community violence.
- Decrease probability of intergenerational incarceration.
- Early detection of potential issues of concern related to a child’s emotional well-being
- Improved daily functioning at home, in school, and in the community
- Parental involvement and understanding of effective ways to manage their child’s behaviors and emotional needs
- Evening and weekend appointments
- Convenient location with access to the A and G train as well as B44 and B38 primary bus routes